Scan the list of ingredients for each of our facial oils and you'll see that Prickly Pear Seed Oil is the first one listed.
When we started DESAVERY we looked hard to find the most potent, luxurious and effective plant oil for skin. Prickly pear seed oil came out the clear winner and when we finally sourced this precious ingredient and started using it the effect was immediate backing up all the science and literature. Not only were the skin results great, the oil was wonderful to apply because although it is one of the richest oils, it's also one of the lightest oils. I love it when people try our oils for the first time and their surprise at how easily the oil absorbs into the skin leaving no grease or oily feeling. This is one of the unique characteristics of prickly pear seed oil.
Before we list all the benefits and why it's so special, a few things about how precious and yet sustainable this ingredient is.
In a 2017 study the United Nations identified prickly pear as an ideal crop as we face climate change with prolonged droughts and desertification. Prickly pear is able to grow on land where no other crops are able to grow, providing a livelihood in areas where there are limited opportunities and the crop can be used to restore degraded land and so its cultivation can improve opportunities for broader agricultural production.
- our prickly pear oil comes from a socially responsible enterprise in southern Morocco. The crop is organic and provides the mostly female workers with literacy and healthcare programmes.
- the production is labour intensive as the seeds have to be removed from the plant by hand.
- it takes several tons of prickly pear fruits to produce just 1 litre of oil - that's why it's so expensive and rarely used in mainstream beauty products.
- our oil is sent to us directly from the cooperative within a few days of production so our small batch production is truly fresh.
We know it's great for the planet! But here's why it's so great for your skin:
- Tocopherals (the natural form of vitamin e) - the highest concentration found in any plant oil with 150% more than argan oil! These fat soluble compounds make the oil extremely nourishing and hydrating and can effectively penetrate the skin's stratum corneum . These components are loaded with antioxidants that can repair the damage caused by UV rays and pollution.
- Fatty acids - the highest percentage of unsaturated fatty acids in any plant oil with high amount of lineolic acid (this is why it's so rich and light in texture) it helps with inflammation and acne. It's super softening and moisturising and also has high amounts of oleic acid (another type of fatty acid).
- Phytosterols - these components of the oil bind to water acting like a sponge so it not only hydrates skin but creates a barrier preventing water loss in the skin and contributes to collagen production.
- Polyphenols - fights free radicals and prevent damage from pollution. This component of the oil is antioxidant rich and also contributes to cell renewal and collagen production.
- zinc and vitamin K - brightens skin and lightens dark spots.
We are so happy to be able to introduce you to this amazing, sustainable, potent and fantastic natural ingredient. You can get a hit of it everyday in our PURE, STELLAR and LIT facial oils where it is the first ingredient listed!